In an effort to create a unified vision for diversity across many emergency medicine organizations and promote ongoing collaboration to best support work in this area, a shared statement was issued January 3, 2023.
Download a PDF or read the statement here -
Emergency Medicine (EM) is committed to creating an atmosphere of cultural awareness, diversity, inclusion, and belonging within our specialty, our workplaces, and the communities we serve. EM will promote and cultivate a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for patients, physicians, practitioners, healthcare teams, and learners. EM commits to include varied perspectives, experiences, and interests in our community and to embrace the full spectrum of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, spirituality, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, socioeconomic background, marital and familial status, and other characteristics. Through education, collaboration, advocacy, and research, EM strives to train and develop emergency physicians who embody cultural awareness, professionalism, respect, and sensitivity towards all people. EM values all individuals who are different from ourselves, to understand their unique histories, and to be an advocate and ally for our patients, learners, and colleagues.
Emergency Medicine is the safety net for society’s health needs. Therefore, we have a unique duty to advance health equity and dismantle systemic barriers to equality. All EM pledges, with a renewed sense of purpose, to champion equitable and compassionate emergency care and to fight for a society that condemns social inequity, racism, discrimination, systemic oppression of all kinds, and cherishes our rich diversity.
A task force that created the statement included representatives from:
- AAEM Resident and Student Association (AAEM RSA)
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM)
- American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians (ACOEP)
- Association of Academic Chairs of Emergency Medicine (AACEM)
- Council of Residency Directors in Emergency Medicine (CORD)
- Emergency Medicine Residents Association (EMRA)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)