Reaffirmed February 2023, January 2017, April 2011, and September 2005
Originally approved June 1999
The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) recommends that:
- All bicyclists wear a properly fitted Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)-approved bicycle helmet.
- Emergency physicians inform patients and parents of the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet and the dangers of riding without a helmet.
- Retail and rental bicycle outlets have available low-cost CPSC-approved helmets for bicyclists.
- Helmet manufacturers provide educational materials that emphasize the advantages of protective headgear.
- State and local governments enact legislation requiring universal helmet use.
- Community coalitions be developed to promote bicycle safety training, including helmet use.
- The popular media depict helmet use among all bicyclists.