Earn a Prestigious Mark of Distinction
-Become An ACEP Fellow
If you're looking for more from your ACEP membership, consider becoming a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians, or FACEP.
This important designation speaks to your contributions to ACEP and highlights your commitment to emergency medicine. More than 10,000 ACEP members proudly use the prestigious FACEP designation.
If you're not certain if you've met the eligibility requirements, contact Membership and Customer Service at 800-798-1822, ext. 5, for your personal eligibility review.
For more information, read the Guide to the Fellow Application Process (PDF).
Fellow Status Online Application Form →
Prefer the paper application? Get it here:
Fellow Status Application Form PDF
History of Fellowship
ACEP Fellowship was first established in 1982 to honor members who made special contributions to the College and the specialty of emergency medicine. Requirements for Fellow Status include Active membership status for three continuous years; board certification by ABEM, AOBEM, or ABP certification for pediatric emergency physicians; and additional service to the specialty.
Criteria for Election to Fellow Status
Fellows of the College shall meet the following criteria:
- Be regular, life, honorary, or international members for three continuous years immediately prior to election and must have been certified in emergency medicine at the time of election by the American Board of Emergency Medicine, the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine, or in pediatric emergency medicine by the American Board of Pediatrics. Maintenance of Fellow status requires continued membership in the College. In addition, the following requirements demonstrating evidence of high professional standing must be met by candidates some time during their professional career prior to application.
- At least three years of active involvement in emergency medicine as the physician's chief professional activity, exclusive of training, and;
- Satisfaction of at least three of the following individual criteria during their professional career:
- active involvement, beyond holding membership, in voluntary health organizations, organized medical societies, or voluntary community health planning activities or service as an elected or appointed public official;
- active involvement in hospital affairs, such as medical staff committees, as attested by the emergency department director or chief of staff;
- active involvement in the formal teaching of emergency medicine to physicians, nurses, medical students, out-of-hospital care personnel, or the public;
- active involvement in emergency medicine administration or departmental affairs;
- active involvement in an emergency medical services system;
- research in emergency medicine;
- active involvement in ACEP chapter activities as attested by the chapter president or chapter executive director;
- member of a national ACEP committee, the ACEP Council, or national Board of Directors;
- examiner for, director of, or involvement in test development and/or administration for the American Board of Emergency Medicine or the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine;
- reviewer for or editor or listed author of a published scientific article or reference material in the field of emergency medicine in a recognized journal or book.
Provision of documentation of the satisfaction of the above criteria is the responsibility of the candidate and determination of the satisfaction of these criteria shall be by the Board of Directors of ACEP or its designee. Fellows shall be authorized to use the letters FACEP in conjunction with professional activities. Fees, procedures for election, and reasons for termination of Fellows shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Application for Fellow Status
Members applying for fellow status must do so on the official application form approved by the Board of Directors for the current year or by completing the online form. The completed application, all required documentation and the non-refundable fellow application fee of $150.00 must be submitted at the same time. Applicants who indicate their compliance by utilizing criteria “2” and/or “7” described above must submit letters, on appropriate letterhead, from the emergency department director or chief of staff; or their chapter president or executive director.
Recognition of Election to Fellow Status
To be acknowledged and recognized during the current year, applications for fellow status must be received by December 15. Members will receive official notification of election or rejection of their application by letter. Those whose applications are received by August 1 and approved 45 days prior to the Fellow Induction held during the ACEP Scientific Assembly, may begin using the designation FACEP on the date of the Fellow Induction. Those who apply after August 1 and before December 15 may use the designation FACEP as soon as they have received official notification of election to fellow status and will be acknowledged officially at the Fellow Induction the following year. All newly elected fellows will receive an official fellow certificate after ACEP’s Scientific Assembly.
Continued membership in the College is required to maintain fellow status and the use of the FACEP designation. Fellows whose memberships expire immediately lose fellow status in the College and the right to use the “FACEP” designation.
For more information on Fellow Status, contact Membership Services at 800-798-1822, ext. 5, or membership@ACEP.org