PLEASE NOTE: This tool is focused on the care of adult (≥18 years of age) patients in the emergency department. MIS-C protocols for pediatric patients can be accessed here: CHOP, Minnesota, Yale
A recent Pediatric EM Section panel reviewed the data on Monoclonal Antibodies in Children and recommended against their use.
Updated Sept. 12, 2023
COVID-19 Severity Classification Tool
Since the COVID pandemic began, an ACEP group has been working to review the evolving literature and compile evidence-based recommendations for the management of patients presenting to the Emergency Department.
The Spring 2023 update streamlined the management approach to these sections:
- Severity Classification
- Diagnostic Testing
- Non-Pharmacologic Treatment
- Pharmacologic Treatment
At that time, the following sections were moved to Page 3 as optional for the provider to consider utilizing:
- Risk Prognostication
- Risk Assessment
By using this tool, emergency physicians are able to better determine the severity of clinical presentation of a COVID case in the ED. From there, determination of the optimal diagnostic, therapeutic, and disposition approaches can be undertaken.
The tool offers treatment recommendations that are curated from guidelines from the NIH and IDSA that are consistently being updated as the evidence on therapeutic options evolve.
“We feel this valuable resource for community physicians who may not be able to keep up with the evolving evidence on the optimal care of patients with COVID,” said Dr. Brian Fengler, Chief Medical Officer of EvidenceCare and an ACEP member who co-led the ACEP working group who compiled these recommendations.
The Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) has developed toolkits for providers and patients. Released on Jan. 3, 2022, these toolkits were developed from an educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline.
The following ACEP members contributed to the development of the COVID-19 Severity Classification Tool:
- Brian Fengler, MD - Chief Medical Officer, EvidenceCare
- Stephen Cantrill, MD, FACEP - Emergency Physician and Consultant, Denver Health
- Christopher R. Carpenter, MD, MSc, FACEP, AGSF - Professor, Washington University in St. Louis
- Katherine Davis, MD - Clinical Content Director, MDCalc; Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Brenna Farmer, MD, MBA, MS - Associate Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine, NYP/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Kent C. Grimes - Emergency Medicine Resident, University of South Florida College of Medicine
- Joe Habboushe, MD, MBA - Co-Founder and CEO MDCalc
- Tara Khan, DO, MS - Emergency Medicine Physician, Whole Health National Education Faculty, OPCC&CT; Veterans Health Administration, US Department of Veterans Affairs
- Kristin McCabe-Kline, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, FACHT - VP / Chief Medical Information Officer AdventHealth, Central Florida Division; ACEP Board Liaison
- Laura Melville, MD, MS - Associate Research Director, NYP/Brooklyn Methodist Medical Center
- David Ng, MD, MS, FACEP - Chief of Emergency Medicine and Occupational Health James J. Peters VA Medical Center
- Christopher Sampson, MD, FACEP - Professor of Emergency Medicine / Vice Chair Research, University of Missouri School of Medicine
- Sandy Schneider, MD, FACEP - Associate Executive Director, ACEP
- Bradley Shy, MD, FACEP - Associate Professor, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Peter A.D. Steel, MA, MBBS - Director of Clinical Services, NYP/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Edward H. Suh, MD - Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center
Contributors to a previous version of this tool include:
- Amy Baxter, MD - Clinical Associate Professor, Augusta University
- Shannon Brown - Veterans Health Administration
- Matt Burton, MD - VP Clinical Informatics, Apervita
- Christopher Corbit, MD, FACEP - Facility Medical Director, Summerville Medical Center
- Pawan Goyal, MD, MHA, FAMIA - Associate Executive Director, Quality, ACEP
- Jonathan A. Handler, MD - Adjunct Associate Professor, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Sharon Hibay, DNP, RN - Chief Clinical Officer, Arch Systems, LLC
- Andrew S. Kanter, MD, MPH, FACMI, FAMIA - Chief Medical Officer, Intelligent Medical Objects
- Dan Mayer, MD - Retired Professor of Emergency Medicine, Niskayuna, NY
- Tamara Moores Todd, MD - Medical Director of Care Transformation and Information Services, Intermountain Health
- Phil Parker, MD - SVP of Integration, SCP-Health
- Sam Shahid, MBBS - Practice Management Manager, ACEP
- Amos J. Shemesh, MD - Assistant Director of Clinical Services, NYP/Weill Cornell Medicine
- Todd B. Taylor, MD, FACEP - Clinical Informaticist, Independent Consultant