Do you have what it takes to take the stage at ACEP's Scientific Assembly? Here’s your Big Break…
We’ll give you 10 minutes to teach any Emergency Medicine related topic to a national audience of your peers and an expert panel of Education Committee members. Rock stars may earn the chance to speak at the following year's Scientific Assembly. The Best of the best wins the coveted ACEP SA Superstar Speaker Award, earning a guaranteed lecture slot for the next year. Drive-up your odds of being the Fan Favorite by bringing all of your friends to the show to cheer you on and vote for you!
Step 1: Read the Rules and Requirements for Eligibility
- Eligibility: Any ACEP member from senior year residents (3rd of PGY1-3 programs & 4th of PGY1-4 programs) to retirement, board eligible, or board-certified emergency physician that has never spoken at a national ACEP meeting, including but not limited to Scientific Assembly, Winter Symposium, Emergency Medicine Connection, Reimbursement and Coding, Emergency Medicine Spring Congress, Leadership and Advocacy, Advanced Pediatric Emergency Medicine Assembly, Emergency Department Directors Academy, or Emergency Medicine Academy. Previous participants of the New Speakers Forum at Scientific Assembly or Emergency Medicine Spring Congress are not eligible.
- Application: Applications will open on July 15, and will remain open until August 28. Don’t Miss Your Big Break! Applications will include filling out the below form and submitting a 2-minute course video. Applicants may only submit one application. The application MUST be completed in its entirety for consideration.
- Selection: Provided eligibility is met, 8 speakers will be chosen to submit a 10-minute presentation along with a course description and objectives.
- Notification: The selected 8 speakers will be notified by e-mail on August 31 and will have until September 14 to submit your 10-minute presentation.
- Voting: Your 10-minute presentation will be hosted on the ACEP20 website, where the public will vote on the best presentations. Voting will take place September 18 - October 21.
- Scheduling: Before submitting your presentation video, please ensure that you will be available on October 28, 2020, from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm CT to participate in the live presentation, in the event you are selected to move on to the final round of the competition.
- Presentation Rules & Format: Speakers are allowed 10 minutes for their presentation. No exceptions. Presentations will be followed by a brief Q&A and Ed Com Expert Panel Evaluation. Speakers must comply with the ACEP Presentation Policy, adhere to ACCME guidelines, and maintain respect for the multicultural membership and patients. No product sales are permitted.
- Final 4: The final 4 will be announced on the last day of voting (October 21). The final 4 will then present their presentation on October 28, with a live Q&A during ACEP20 Unconventional.
- Award: One speaker will be selected as the winner of the Superstar Speaker Award at the conclusion of the New Speakers Forum. The winner will be selected by members of the ACEP Educational Meetings Committee based on their observation and audience evaluation data (see Evaluation Criteria).
Opening: Did the speaker grab attention with a case or problem, give a memorable title, establish their expertise, and provide disclosures?
Content: Did the speaker provide evidence-based feasible objectives, then discuss each topic logically?
Engagement: Did the speaker consistently pull in the audience with appropriate questions and humor?
Slides: Did the slides contain only essential words, as well as appropriate key images and transitions, needed to reinforce the speaker's story?
Voice: Did the speaker articulate clearly, without filler words, in an energetic, yet authentic voice?
Presence: Did the speaker's appearance and body language appropriately convey competence, free of nervous or distracting movements?
Conclusion: Did the speaker summarize the objectives, end the story, answer questions, as well as provide reference and follow up info appropriately?
The ACEP Educational Meetings Committee has the ultimate authority to choose which individuals will be designated to speak. The committee will review applications to ensure speakers meet eligibility requirements. They will also monitor the presentations to ensure that all speakers end on time, terminating any speaker with inappropriate content or remarks. All decisions of the Educational Meetings Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
All applicants will be notified on August 31. The ACEP Educational Meetings Committee has the ultimate authority to choose which individuals will be designated to speak. The committee will review applications to ensure speakers meet eligibility requirements. They will also monitor the presentations to ensure that all speakers end on time, terminating any speaker with inappropriate content or remarks. All decisions of the Educational Meetings Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
Still a resident? Check out EMRA's 20 in 6 to showcase your speaking skills at ACEP SA!