The Honorary Membership Award is presented to an individual who has rendered outstanding service to the College or to the specialty of emergency medicine.
The Honorary Membership Award is a framed certificate. The recipient's name is inscribed on a master plaque at ACEP Headquarters. The recipient is considered a lifelong member of the College, is not required to pay any dues, and cannot vote or hold office but receives all other benefits and privileges of membership.
Any member or constituent chapter may nominate persons of distinction who have rendered outstanding service to the College or to the specialty of emergency medicine. Candidates for honorary membership cannot be currently eligible for other categories of College membership. National ACEP staff are eligible for nomination only after leaving employment from ACEP. Chapter executives are eligible for nomination only after leaving employment from the chapter.
The nominee should have made an outstanding contribution to ACEP by significantly helping to achieve one or more of the College's purposes and objectives. The nominee should serve as a role model for College members, and his/her personal attributes should include, but are not limited to: inspiration, innovation, diplomacy, planning, organization, management and administration, arbitration, consensus building, and decision making.
- 1969 Richard D. Mudd, MD, PhD (deceased)
- 1970 John T. Rogers, MD (deceased) | John G. Wiegenstein, MD (deceased)
- 1971 Robert J. Rathburn, MD (deceased)
- 1975 R. R. Hannas, Jr., MD (deceased) | James D. Mills, Jr., MD (deceased)
- 1977 Harris B. Graves, MD (deceased)
- 1979 Peter Safar, MD (deceased)
- 1980 A. L. Jenkins, MD
- 1981 Edward Abson, FRCS (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain) | David Caro, (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain) | John Collins, MD, ChB, MRCS (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain - deceased) | Ronald L. Krome, MD, FACEP | Karl G. Mangold, MD | George Podgorny, MD (deceased)
- 1982 William T. Haeck, MD (deceased)
- 1983 Cyril T. M. Cameron, MD (deceased) | Ben E. Moore, MD (deceased) | John A. Rupke, MD (deceased) | William H. Rutherford (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain)
- 1984 B. Ken Gray, MD, FACEP | Carl Jelenko, III, MD (deceased) | Bill B. Smiley, MD, Ret.
- 1985 H. Arnold Muller, MD, FACEP | Leonard M. Riggs, Jr., MD | David Wilson, MD (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain)
- 1986 Jack Leckie, MD (deceased) | John P. McDade, MD (deceased) | Martin J. O'Neill, MD (deceased)
- 1987 George Adler, MD (deceased)
- 1988 Brooks F. Bock, MD, FACEP | Kathryn M. Dykgraaf
- 1989 Frederick Glass, MD | Bruce D. Janiak, MD, FACEP
- 1990 David Williams, FRCP, MRCGP (Casualty Surgeons Assn Great Britain)
- 1991 Jacek B. Franaszek, MD, FACEP | Mark M. Lindsey, MD (deceased) | Benson S. Munger, PhD | Frank E. Foss, MD
- 1992 Robert K. Anzinger, MD, FACEP | John H. Harris, Jr., MD, DSc
- 1993 Maj. Gen. Norman Kirby, DBE, FRCS (BAEM Past President) | Reinald J. Leidelmeyer, MD
- 1994 Michael J. Bresler, MD, FACEP
- 1995 John A. Kitzhaber, MD | Robert M. Williams, MD, DPH, FACEP
- 1996 John B. McCabe, MD, FACEP
- 1997 Sandra L. Riggins
- 1998 Gregory L. Henry, MD, FACEP | Paul Pomeroy, Jr., MD, FACEP | Colin C. Rorrie, Jr., PhD | Ellen Taliaferro, MD, FACEP
- 1999 Larry A. Bedard, MD, FACEP
- 2000 Dennis C. Whitehead, MD, FACEP
- 2001 Nancy J. Auer, MD, FACEP | Jack R. Page, MD, FACEP | Carol S. Rivers, MD, FACEP
- 2002 Michael D. Bishop, MD, FACEP | Michael E. Gallery, PhD, CAE | Barbara W. Trainor
- 2003 John C. Moskop, PhD | John C. Moorhead, MD, FACEP
- 2004 Arthur Cooper, MD, FACS, FAAP, FCCM | Earl Schwartz, MD | Robert W. Schafermeyer, MD, FACEP
- 2005 Mary Ann Reinhart, PhD | Iris Wiegenstein
- 2006 David Blunk | Elaine Jastram | Gwen Messler-Harry
- 2007 David Zabel
- 2008 Beverly Lynch | Joy Zimmer
- 2009 James E. Coles, CAE | Ernest E. Moore, Jr., MD, FACEP
- 2010 Janet Goldberg | Diane K. Bollman (deceased)
- 2011 Arthur Auer | Leah Heimbach, JD, RN, EMT-P
- 2012 Bernadette Carr | Edward R. Gaines, III, JD, CCP | E. Nicholas Kestner, III
- 2013 Caral Edelberg, CPC, CCS-P
- 2014 Phyllis L. Edans, CPA, CAE (deceased)
- 2015 Marilyn Bromley, RN | W. Calvin Chaney, JD, CAE | Virginia Kennedy-Palys, JD
- 2016 Beth P. Brunner | Barbara Burgess
- 2017 Patty Stowe, CAE | Laura L. Tiberi, CAE | Gordon B. Wheeler
- 2018 Marjorie A. Geist, RN, PhD, CAE | Barbara Tomar, MPH
- 2019 Lowell Gerson, PhD | Laura Gore
- 2020 Pat Hughes, CMP | Jane Scott, ScD, MSN | Hugh Dean Wilkerson, JD, MBA, CAE
Any member may nominate a member by submitting a completed nomination form. Submit the nomination form, nominee's curriculum vitae, and up to 3 letters of support to Mary Ellen Fletcher, CPC, CEDC, at the ACEP Headquarters. Letters of support are greatly encouraged and are at the discretion of the nominator. Additionally, a nominee should have only one nomination whether from a chapter, entity (such as a committee or section), or individual. All entries must be submitted by the deadline for consideration by the Awards Committee.
The Awards Committee will judge the entries, with its recommendations subject to review by the ACEP Board of Directors. The decision of the Board is final, and the Board reserves the right to make no award if there are no nominees of sufficient merit. The award will be presented at the annual President's Awards Banquet.