Optional Coding Session Course Description
Basic E/M Coding for Physician Services in the ED
The basics of ED coding can be very intimidating. CPT codes, E/M levels, and scoring medical decision making represent the underpinnings of ED code assignment. Freshen up on the basics to make the most of the Advanced Coding course.
- Review in detail an ED specific approach to the application of the Medicare 1995 Documentation Guidelines
- Review current concepts and myths surrounding the scoring of medical decision making
- Identify documentation requirements for the evaluation and management codes 99281-99285, including the three key elements, and four contributing elements
Case Study Presentation: Look At This Case Through My Eyes
Real world examples are key elements to solidifying knowledge of complex topics. Well-chosen case examples highlighting key teaching points will be presented and discussed with both physician and coder input.
- Review real world ED records to demonstrate the documentation requirements
- Review common ED presentations and typical code assignments
- Describe a technique for coding an ED clinical record