Coding Course Descriptions
Course Descriptions from the 2017 Conference for your reference.
2017 Expert Coding Update: CPT, MIPS, and Audit Traps
The coding rules change substantially each year and 2017 is no different. Hear the latest regarding CPT changes, the complexities of the MIPS program, and audit traps to avoid.
- Describe the key ED specific 2017 CPT and diagnosis coding changes for emergency medicine
- Discuss how the expanded CMS audit programs will impact your practice
- Identify the 2017 CMS regulatory changes related to emergency medicine practice including the impact of the 2017 Medicare fee schedule
- Review the sunsetting of the PQRS program and its big brother replacement MIPS
2017 Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Specifications and Solutions
The PQRS program is being phased out and replaced by MIPS with even more at stake and greater complexity. Do you have a clear understanding of the requirements and a solution for your group? Expert presenters will provide a roadmap to successful reporting.
- Review the 2017 Medicare final rulequality requirements
- Analyze the ED available quality measures and specifications
- Discuss strategies for effectively meeting the MIPS Quality requirements
Advanced Coding Case Study Workshop
Coding theory is crucial, but it is only the first step to accurately reporting ED services. Take it to the next level and dissect real-world case studies involving complex coding considerations.
- Discuss advanced case examples, identifying the appropriate techniques and coding solutions for ensuring accurate coding
- Describe how available documentation could be improved to ensure proper coding
- Discuss proper coding techniques for services provided by residents, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners
Compliance Concerns: Sharks Are In The Water: Are You The Bait?
Audits are escalating in both frequency and severity. Both governmental and private payers are undertaking aggressive actions against providers. Are you prospectively monitoring the high risk areas?
- Analyze the escalating Medicare Audit trends including RAC, MAC, and CERT audits.
- Describe areas of high compliance risk.
- Identify potential audit triggers and targets.
- Review the best defense and response strategies.
Critical Care Coding: What Coders and Physicians Both Need to Know
Providing critical care services often means one thing to coders and another to seasoned clinicians. Analyze the documentation and coding requirements woven into a nuanced discussion of common critical-care presentations.
- Review multiple specific critical care clinical presentations and dispel common misperceptions regarding who qualifies for critical care
- Discuss critical care coding issues including: bundled services, time requirements, and CPR
- Identify documentation and coding requirements to appropriately report critical care services
ICD-10: The Grace Period is Over – Solutions for 2017
We made it! ICD 10 is live and we have survived! Explore common mistakes, lessons learned, and strategies to make the next stage of adoption as successful as possible.
- Discuss the impact of ICD-10 on provider documentation
- Describe key documentation challenges for providers and coders
- Review issues related to real world charting and EHRs
Lightning Rounds: Don’t Get Struck – Advanced Care Planning, NEW Sedation Codes, Care Management Codes, Telemedicine and Other Hot Topics
A thorough knowledge of coding requires a deep dive into certain areas. Get all the way down in the weeds with an expert panel to dissect today’s most complex coding topics.
- Identify the requirements for correct use of the advanced care planning codes
- Analyze the impact of the new sedation codes and their application in real world vignettes
- Discuss coding complexities related to telemedicine
Observation Services: Expanding Opportunities; Professional and Facility Coding Solutions
Observation services are growing in importance. ED groups are frequently tasked with staffing observation units. Coding for these often multi-day stays can be complex. Are you up to the challenge?
- Discuss the coding complexities and RVU valuations associated with accurate reporting of observation services
- Describe the latest information regarding Inpatient Status and the interplay between physician documentation and facility coding
- Identify documentation requirements for use of the observation codes
Open Forum: Your Specific Coding Concerns Addressed
This interactive session is designed to address your most challenging concerns and questions to be addressed by an expert panel. Participants may submit questions in advance or onsite. Some of the biggest issues facing coders in their daily professional situations will be addressed.
- Discuss major issues presented throughout the conference, using actual examples gained in daily situations
Stop the Bleeding: Coding for High RVU Procedures
The typical emergency department performs over 100 different procedures on a regular basis. Learn the ins and outs of correct documentation and coding from both a CPT and clinical perspective.
- Discuss coding challenges related to high RVU emergency medicine procedures.
- Identify the key aspects of documentation that impact procedure code selection.
- Review specific emergency medicine procedures and their documentation requirements including abscesses, fracture care and advanced airway tools.