- To provide a forum for the discussion of evidence-based pain management and addiction medicine practice within the emergency department.
- To disseminate information regarding the use of alternatives to opioids for pain management, appropriate opioid use, the treatment and management of patients with opioid misuse disorder, and the role of medication assisted therapy in the emergency department.
- To provide an opportunity for physicians interested in pain management and addiction medicine within emergency medicine to meet, interact, and network.
- To develop and present educational programs to assist college members in navigating the complex issues surrounding pain management and addiction medicine within emergency medicine.
- To prepare and distribute an interesting, educational, and informative newsletter for members of the section.
- To serve as a resource to the College president, Board of Directors, College committees, and ACEP members on issues relating to emergency medicine pain management and addiction medicine.
- To coordinate activities with other organizations involved in the management of the national opioid crisis and other pain management and addiction medicine issues at the invitation of the president and/or Board of Directors.
- To advance and publicize legislative issues related to pain management, opioid misuse, and addiction medicine within emergency medicine.
- To provide a pathway for professional leadership development within the organization.
Section Officers & Staff
Don Stader, MD, FACEP
Chair / Councilor
Reuben Strayer, MD, FACEP
Igor Middlebrook, MD
Eric Ketcham, MD, FACEP
Immediate Past Chair/ Alternate Councillor
Ryan Stanton, MD, FACEP
Sam Shahid, MBBS, MPH