The Section of Medical Humanities is chartered by the Board of Directors of the American College of Emergency Physicians to provide a forum in which members of the College with special interests in the fine arts, literature, humanities research, and the humanistic social sciences can develop a knowledge base, share information, receive and give counsel, and serve as a resource to others interested in the application of these areas to emergency medicine.
- To provide a forum for ACEP members interested in fine arts, literature, the humanities research, and the humanistic social sciences.
- To promote the utilization of literature, arts and the humanities in the instruction of emergency physicians.
- To promote the medical humanities as a source and means of lifelong learning for emergency physicians.
- To promote the application of humanities theories and methods, derived from philosophy, English, literary theory, the social sciences, the arts, rhetoric and ethics to investigate the social and cultural dynamics of emergency medicine.
- To enhance the opportunities for ACEP members to increase their literary or artistic output.
- To create collegial alliances and research opportunities for humanities and social science scholars in emergency medicine, and to promote the publication of medical humanities research.
- To create avenues for showcasing the artistic and literary achievements of emergency medicine physicians.
- To serve as a resource for ACEP members and the ACEP board of directors for the application of literature, arts and the humanities to emergency medicine.