About the Pain Management and Addiction Medicine Section
- Promote the subspecialty of pain management within emergency medicine
- Evaluate and develop strategies to better manage acute and chronic pain in the emergency department
- Educate emergency medicine physicians regarding the management of acute and chronic pain without the use of opiates
- Discuss novel protocols and evidence based approaches to pain management in the emergency department
- Provide guidance and support to assist emergency physicians in helping patients with opiate addiction and referral to detox and rehabilitation
- Research the use of Suboxone in the emergency department for opiate addiction
- Develop an ACGME accredited Emergency Medicine Pain Management Fellowship program
- Provide advice to the College regarding pain management issues
Subject Areas and Proposed First Year Activities
Podcast: Pain Management in the Elderly Population
From ACEP Frontline: Ryan Stanton, MD, FACEP; and Alexis LaPietra, DO
ACEP Frontline episodes are free and on demand. In this episode recorded at ACEP16, Dr. Stanton and Dr. LaPietra discuss how to deal with pain management in the elderly when they present in the Emergency Department. Dr. LaPietra, a founder of ACEP’s new Pain Management Section, discusses some of the special risks you face when prescribing for pain. She also discusses alternatives and techniques to solving pain issues in this population.
Listen to Podcast
Section Featured in ACEP Now April 2016 Edition
ACEP’s New Pain Management Section Provides Venue to Discuss Pain Topics, Opioid Addiction
By Alexis LaPietra, DO | April 12, 2016
Emergency medicine pain management can be painful, but it doesn’t have to be. I recently finished a year-long emergency medicine–focused pain management fellowship, the first of its kind. I had the privilege of working with a variety of subspecialties in an effort to gain their perspectives on acute and chronic pain management.
Go to Full Article in ACEP Now
For inquiries, questions, or comments about the section, please contact the staff liaison.
Pain Management Section members may email all section members via the section e-list at acep_painmanagementsection@ConnectedCommunity.org