Participating in all or part of the meeting were: Teresa Amato, MD; James Augustine, MD, FACEP, Board Liaison; Gregory R. Bell, MD, FACEP; Constance J. Doyle, MD, FACEP, Alternate Councillor; Michael T. Fabrizio, DO; Sanford H. Herman, MD, FACEP; Douglas M. Hill, DO, FACEP; Conroy Lee, MD, FACEP; James McCormick, III, MD; Carl A. Mealie, MD, FACEP; Annabella Salvador-Kelly, MD, FACEP; Sullivan K. Smith, MD, FACEP, Chair; Listy Thomas, MD, FACEP; Marvin A. Wayne, MD, FACEP
Others participating: Tanya L. Downing, ACEP staff liaison; Pam Shirey, ACEP staff
I. Call to Order
II. Presentation of Awards
a. Longevity Award
b. Tenure Award
c. Certificates of Recognition
III. Leadership and Advocacy Conference
IV. Membership Committee re: “Late Career”
V. Election of Section Officers
VI. New Business
Major Points Discussed
1. Dr. Smith, Section Chair, called the meeting to order at 8:40am.
2. Board Liaison, Dr. Augustine, discussed how ACEP has outgrown its headquarters and that a new building is currently under construction in Irving, TX near DFW airport. He encouraged section members to be a part of the new headquarters by purchasing a brick with the EMF Pave the Way campaign.
3. Dr. Augustine explained that the college is moving towards information technology and developing systems to report quality with the Clinical Emergency Data Registry (CEDR) project.
4. Dr. Smith presented the 2015 careers section awards. He also gave the award winners the new lapel pins for the Longevity Award and Tenure Award. Plaques and certificates will be mailed to those not present.
Marvin A. Wayne, MD, FACEP of Bellingham, WA, received the award for the longest active career in emergency medicine (41 years).
Michael T. Fabrizio, DO, of Cumberland, RI, received the award for the longest tenure in the same emergency department (39 years).
Certificates of Recognition
Jay M. Walshon, MD, FACEP for 39 years.
Brian K. Nelson, MD, FACEP for 33 years. Dr. Nelson was unable to attend.
Carl A. Mealie, MD, FACEP for 31 years.
5. Dr. Smith discussed that he wants to compile comments of section members about ACEP history so the information can be preserved and shared at the new ACEP headquarters.
6. Dr. Herman reported on the Leadership and Advocacy conference. He said it was a phenomenal meeting with young and mature physicians attending. He explained how the focus of emergency physicians has changed and that they are striving for balance in their lives. Dr. Herman said he would like to create a workgroup to create a forum at the 2016 Leadership and Advocacy conference regarding balance. Section members discussed this issue
7. Dr. Hill related that the ACEP Membership Committee surveyed members for ways ACEP can better serve members. He said he was at the Careers in EM Section meeting today to address how ACEP can help those late in their career. He said that those who have been practicing more than 30 years want help on keeping up with new technology such as ultrasound and electronic medical records. He reported that ACEP is developing a late career tool kit which will include short video vignettes and a white paper on wellness. He asked what the Membership Committee can do to help “end of career” physicians and he requested comments be sent to email@example.com.
8. Dr. Smith said he wanted to create new awards for the Careers in Emergency Medicine Section and will work with staff to bring them to fruition:
9. Officer Elections:
10. Ms. Downing presented Dr. Smith with a certificate as outgoing Chair and she thanked him for his service.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50am.