RSS Feed Print Category View
What type of exam are we as EP’s performing when using ultrasound?
mstone
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012

EUS is essentially a goal directed or focused exam seekingto answer specific clinical questions and thus differs greatly from a Radiologyor Cardiology performed exam. Section members propose the term ‘point of care’ultrasound to best define what we do. 

Dr. Noble and others have created astandard point of care ultrasound reporting form posted on the Running a Program section of the website.This document seeks to create a template for what focused goals we are specificallylooking while performing each of the core emergency ultrasound applications.                                                                                       

Manysection members take affront when EUS is likened to a ‘screening exam’ or‘informal exam’, so watch the terminology that is used when expressing our useof ultrasound, especially when speaking with colleagues from other specialties.

steveleechmd@yahoo.com
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mike makes a great point here. 

When we say to a patient that we are going to send you for a "formal exam", that implies we are doing an "informal" exam.  A former resident who knew this was a pet peeve of mine was on his way to a wedding and stopped by the hospital to take some pictures doing ultrasound wearing a tuxedo.  The pictures were priceless, a true "formal exam".

We should also avoid "official", because that implies ours is "unofficial".  We try and use the terms "focused" or "limited".

I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this issue.

tobias_kummer@brown.edu
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012

I completely agree.

We usually use the terms focused or point-of-care exam vs. comprehensive.

Personally, I try to avoid "limited" as well because it IMHO does not convey the concept of point-of-care exams (though it sometimes is easier when you talk billing and the -52 modifier.)

Feedback
Click here to
send us feedback