RSS Feed Print Category View
Long angiocaths for ultrasound-guided peripheral IV placements?
mstone
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A very frequently asked question on the listserve. Some folks favor a traditional long IV catheter (i.e. the B.Braun product below), others favor arterial line kits repurposed for peripheral IV placement (i.e. the Arrow products below), others favor the Powerwand, and others prefer to place a long flexible single lumen catheter or "mid-line" (i.e. the Cook product below). Have the materials management contact person at your hospital talk with the representatives as you can almost always obtain free samples to find out which product works best for you and your colleagues.

B. Braun Introcath Safety 18G 2.5 inch Catheters

Arrow 20G 2.5 inch Arterial Line Set (with guidewire)

Arrow 18G 3.25 inch Arterial Line Set (with guidewire)

The Powerwand

Cook 5 Fr 15cm single lumen catheter (with guidewire)

dpigott@uabmc.edu
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012

A catheter that I've had good success using is the Arrow Twin-Cath (one 18G and one 20G lumen, 1.75 inches).  Its length is on the shorter side but it's a nice alternative to traditional angiocaths for ultrasound-guided PIV placement.

http://www.arrowintl.com/products/boms/IV01150.asp?cat=16&item=IV-01150&xsec=C-18-20

Dave Pigott

gullett88@hotmail.com
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012

These all have pressure ratings, do they not?  Can you do a CT angio through all these? 

John Gullett

pererap
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013

The arrow catheters are a good option. However, one will need the longer length angiocath as indicated in the prior posts and not the 1 and 3/4 inch product.

Feedback
Click here to
send us feedback