RSS Feed Print Category View
Ultrasound in Austere Environments
pererap
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016

One of my colleagues is going to Nepal to do some medical work, and has asked about ultrasound systems that might be appropriate to take.  They’ll have to hike it everywhere, so want something small.  No electricity in most places, so battery life is important.  And as is the case with most medical missions, money is tight.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Will Scruggs
pererap

Will

I've use the ge v scan dual probe system before. cheapest, around $7000 new. battery is ok, about 60 min life if lucky. decent images. tiny screen. size of 2 iphones. uses microsd so you can save/transfer images easily sonosite has a new one w wifi/internet capability, around $20000 though. never used it yet you can get chinese knock off's cheap on ebay that uses your laptop as the screen. its bulky. add a chromebook for $350 and you've got a full working ultrasound....if you can read chinese instructions. I've used them in an urgent care in canada. never in the field  I carried a sonosite titan for 4 wks around bangladesh. that got old really quick
I'd be interested in doing some more med work/adventure outside of my practice. can you give my email to your friend? raymond.merritt4@gmail.com
Ray

pererap

Lumify is rental only so might be ideal for a medical mission. Hooks up to android phones or tablets. Haven't used one except to play with one at acep but looked like better images than my vscan. $200/month I believe. 
Dasia
pererap

I've used a Sonosite M-Turbo in Africa and central Asia. Images were as usual pretty good, but it is fairly heavy and not the cheapest. Very durable. Came in a big pelican case that wouldn't meet your needs, but could be slipped into a backpack.
Brendan
pererap

I've used Sonosite in several austere environments (tropical, hurricane, mountain altitude) but not in cold. That will be your biggest challenge for battery life, especially for smaller units. You will likely have half of expected battery life at cold altitude. Sonosites are backpack-able but heavy. They are bombproof and have decent image quality for portable units. 
BTW- Sonosite will support educational endeavors with long term loaners. (Cost-Free) Contact your regional representative.

Good luck- contact me offline if you want to discuss further.
Janet Young, MD Janyoumd@gmail.com

Virginia Tech

pererap

I just returned from Peru, and used the iViz while I was there. Sonosite generously loaned me the machine, without cost.
Since it was part of the Gorgas Tropical Medicine Diploma course, being hand-held was ideal, since it would have been nearly impossible to drag a larger machine with me on clinical rounds every day for 9 weeks.
In my experience overall: 1) The imaging quality was surprisingly much better than I had anticipated. It is by far better than other hand-held units I've seen. 2) The portability was the best feature 3) Battery life was rather short (<1 hour), but since they were small, I was easily able to carry 3 additional batteries with me. 4) The machine overheated and shut off. This was likely in part due to the hot environment. But this is also a known problem. I am not sure how the machine would perform in cold environments. Overall it seems less durable than the traditional Sonosites, since it is Android based. 5) It was a bit limiting only having the phased array transducer. However, Sonosite is coming out with a linear transducer soon.
Overall, I definitely think it is a great option and has great potential for imaging austere environments... Feel free to let me know if you have questions or need further help.
Stephanie

--  Stephanie J. Doniger, MD RDMS FAAP FACEP

Fellowship Director,

Pediatric Emergency Medicine Co-Director, Pediatric Emergency Ultrasound Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Department of Emergency Medicine New York Methodist Hospital Brooklyn, NY

pererap

Lumify with insurance is $ 275/ month (which covers anything you do to the probe to include lost Or stolen.  
Without insurance $200/ month 
Maria 
Maria O'Rourke, MD

Director of Emergency Ultrasound Department of Emergency Medicine

Kaweah Delta Health Care District 400 W. Mineral King Visalia, CA  93291-6263

pererap

Just saw a demo for this.. Probe w/ wireless connection to phone/laptop. Should be available later this year.

Pat

File Attachment(s):
image1.JPG (83341 bytes)

pererap

I recently took the Lumify to Tanzania. I thought it was pretty great and was impressed with the image quality. Obviously it can't do as much as the sonosite and I was using a small 9 in tablet. I used it for 2 weeks and returned it within a month and they didn't charge me for it. 
Something to consider if you are using it short term only. 

Azeem

Feedback
Click here to
send us feedback