RSS Feed Print Category View
Credentialing for Pelvic Ultrasound
pererap
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dear ultrasound colleagues,    We have run into some questions about credentialing our EM residents to perform 1st trimester pregnancy ultrasound.  Our current ACEP guidelines recommend a numeric goal of at least 25 pregnancy exams, similar to the other core ultrasound applications -- but this specific exam is unique, in that there are two approaches (transabdominal vs transvaginal), which I believe are very different instrumentation skill sets.   Are you having your trainees: -Perform a grand total of >25, combining both TA and TV? -Perform 25 TA and 25 TV scans? -Requiring that a certain proportion of the 25 scans be TV? -Something else?   I'd be interested to know the variations in our approach to this question.

Thanks, Tiff   ___

Tiffany C. Fong, MD Director of Emergency Ultrasound Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine tiffany.c.fong@gmail.com

pererap

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Noble, Vicki Elizabeth,M.D. VNOBLE@mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

You have to do 25 of each at least This is in the guidelines  As absolutely as you point put these are totally different skills

pererap

I appreciate the input, Vicki -- it's really helpful.   I had also made 25 TA + 25 TV my requirement at Hopkins, but a few residents have challenged this, saying that the ACEP EUS policy statement specifies only that 25 pregnancy ultrasounds must be performed, without mention of TA vs TV.  After this, I myself combed the guidelines, and it is true that there is no well delineated requirement of 25 of each type.   I also have gotten a handful of responses to my listserv query, and so far about half of people are counting all pregnancy ultrasounds as one group, as long as some meaningful percentage are TV.  Some argue that though the approach is different, the anatomy is similar.   It may be worth us as a group clarifying this in the next iteration of the guidelines, since there seems to be so much variation in its interpretation.   Thanks again, Tiff
pererap

Agree with both.  I make mine do 25 of both

VST-Vivek Tayal, MD

pererap

Hello,    We moved to 25 combined TA and TV about 8 years ago. Then went back to 25 TA and TV at the request of several groups who insisted upon this. I agree with the discussion in obvious technique differences as well as counter point on similar anatomy.    I would suggest we note in the 2016 version that 25 are required with at least 10 being TV. This is a key springboard exam. Setting the bar too high will hinder efforts to improve EUS utilization. But I defer to the group.    I am cc'ing this to Phil Perera to start a forum thread for the discussion. Thanks everyone!  

John Bailitz, MD Cook County EUS Division & Collaborative Research Director Rush Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine ACEP EUS Section & Online Education Chair SMACC US Director & Organizing Committee O312-864-0198 C 773-297-1061
P 312-333-1762 @AllInCoachMD Google + 

Feedback
Click here to
send us feedback