International Section Forum

RSS Feed Print Category View
Opportunity in the Commonwealth of Dominica
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012

Good day all,

Dominica is a small english speaking Caribbean island with a population of a little over 70,000. It is not to be confused with the Dominican Republic.

I am a recent medschool grad hoping to enter emergency medicine residency in the US.I am also a Dominican native with hopes of seeing improvement of healthcare especially in the area of emergency medicine on our island. Currently the ED or "casualty" as it is often called is staffed by house officers. There are no residency trained emergency physicians here. I recently spoke to the hospital director who expressed interest in having US emergency physicians come to give some lectures/ training sessions to the physicians and nurses who work in the ED or in the community clinics that often serve as the 1st point of contact. Resources are limited here like many other developing countries. No working portable X-ray machine. No portable ultrasound. 1Ct scanner. No MRI. Drug shortages are even more common here than in the US etc. there are plans to build a new hospital soon and it would be very beneficial to have better training for our doctors.

If you are interested in traveling to the nature island of the Caribbean, an ecotourism destination, but at the same time would like to contribute meaningfully to the development of  emergency care please contact me.

Tamara Augustine

Thank you.

Click here to
send us feedback