International Section Forum

RSS Feed Print Category View
Pictures of people...
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012

In the US, before I take photos, I am extremely careful with regard to obtain signed consent of those in the photo.  In other countries, I often fail to do so.  I think we should police ourselves but I am not 100% sure what is ok.  Since it is a password protected board, I would suggest the following:

Non-identifiable photos of disease.

Cute poor kids (I don't know why, but we love them and they will surely get posted)

Pictures of clinics or hospitals nationwide include our faces and those of other healthcare providers (not patients)

Not OK:

Faces of patients

Anything illegal or immoral

What do other people think?
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012

Jeff, interesting point and very important.

I'm agreement with what you propose - no identifiable photos of patients, to be specific. I don't think that a signed consent form should always be required for photography but I think the subjects, regardless of whether it is a clinical context or not, should be at least aware that they are being photographed and should be all right with that. In the example of cute kid photos, it is usually clear from the photo that they are pleased as punch to be photographed. 

I do think there are potential uses of cute kid (or other development/medical tourism) photos that could be considered exploitative, although this is more a question of taste and philosophy than a question of prescriptive guidelines. I'd like to share one of my favorite articles on the subject, which is a random blog post I came across a few years ago. Food for thought:

Click here to
send us feedback