Concerning the shortage of PPE we are experiencing across the country, here's a summary of what you need to know, including advocacy asks and how your state can request more PPE.
Position Statement on the Use of Donated or Self-Purchased PPE
Get Connected with Corporate and Private Suppliers of PPE with GetUsPPE.org
PPE Resources - Respirators
- OSHA Temporary Enforcement Guidance - Healthcare Respiratory Protection Annual Fit-Testing for N95 During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- CDC: Strategies for Optimizing Supply of N95 Respirators
- WHO Advice for the Public: When and How to Use Masks
PPE Resources – Don & Doff
- How to Don and Doff PPE (Fight COVID-19 Coronavirus)
- Donning and Doffing PPE: HCID Level One Full Barrier Isolation
- Demonstration of donning and removing of the appropriate PPE when caring for a person who has COVID-19.
What You Can Do:
- Ensure that your hospital has contacted your state health departments or emergency management agencies to know of your PPE needs. The Strategic National Stockpile is now distributing PPE to the states.
- Send your members of Congress an email urging them to ensure PPE is prioritized for frontline personnel.
- Share your state and federal advocacy efforts on social media with the hashtag #FreeThePPE and encourage others to also contact their representatives.
What ACEP Is Doing:
- Sent letters to Congress and other policymakers with key policy changes necessary to mitigate the impact and spread of the virus in the U.S. and support emergency physicians.
- Hosted a virtual briefing for Congressional health staffers with several WA ACEP members to help inform Congressional efforts on the issue.
- Sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services, Alex Azar, outlining specific changes and regulatory waivers the Administration could immediately take to better protect emergency physicians, as well as areas where we want to see additional guidance - including liability immunity.
- Working with CMS and others to ensure that telehealth provisions included in the recently passed Appropriations package in Congress will enable emergency physician use of this valuable tool during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Attending an upcoming White House meeting with Vice President Pence this week.
Get Real-Time Support:
- The risks you take each day can take a toll on you – a reality heightened during this pandemic. ACEP members receive 3 free counseling sessions when it’s time to practice self-care.
- Join more than 2,200 ACEP members sharing strategies and getting peer support on our COVID-19 members-only engagED community forum.