“Safer Sign Out” Update
Drew Fuller MD, MPH, FACEP
Strategic Coordinator of Patient Safety
Emergency Medicine Associates, P.A., P.C.
Safer Sign Out and the QIPS/EMPSF collaboration continue to advance and attract national coverage. Safer Sign Out has been extensively featured in the news over the past 3 months.
- Patient Safety & Quality Healthcare (March)
- AMNews (AMA newspaper) (April)
- ACEP Weekend Review (April)
- ACEP News (June)
- ED Management – Next Issue
SaferSignOut.com in now a listed Web resource on:
- AMA handoff resource page
- U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ) Patient Safety Network
- Maryland Patient Safety Conference – Baltimore, April 5th, 2013
- ED Practice Management Association (post conference presentation) - Las Vegas, April 30th, 2013
- California ACEP (Pre-conference Safety meeting) - Los Angeles, June 13, 2013
Safer Sign Out has also been mentioned in the College of Emergency Medicine (The UK’s ACEP) newsletter, which is distributed to members in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
QIPS and EMPSF are conducting a national survey to assess safety perception and satisfaction with sign out systems in the ED. So far, there are over 400 responses so far and QIPS/EMPSF will be lowing forward to receiving input from nurses as well. The preliminary data reveals a positive result on safety, efficiency and satisfaction for Safer Sign Out. We aim to publish the final results and utilize survey findings to apply for future grant opportunities. You can take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EDPHYSICIANHandoffPractices
Finally, the Maryland Patient Safety Center (MPSC), under the direction of COO Bonnie Dipietro is conducting an independent study and implementation of Safer Sign Out with three University of Maryland affiliated hospitals. A follow up analysis will be conducted and published.
Back to Newsletter