Boundaries - Session D
Crossing Boundaries - Violation or Obligation, JAMA “A Piece of My Mind,” September 23, 2013
Boundary Crossing in Medicine: Out of the Closet http://www.gold-foundation.org/boundary-crossing-in-medicine-out-of-the-closet/
- Would you have done the same for a patient as the author? Why and why not?
- How you had experiences when you disagreed on what counted as acceptable boundary crossing with faculty, colleagues, other members of the healthcare team? Did you discuss it?
- Why do you think there was such outcry about this article? Do you agree with the altruistic commentary in the accompanying article?
- What boundaries have you crossed with patients?
- Were you aware of it when it was happening?
- How did you recognize it as such, was it by personal reflection or was it pointed out to you?
- Could you justify and explain your reasoning for your actions, or did it “feel” right?
- How did these situations work out in the short and long term?
- Take 5-10 minutes and write about a particular situation.
Back to Module