Join Us In Teaching Bystanders to Save a Life During EMS Week, May 17-23, 2020 From Severe Bleeding or Cardiac Arrest
American Medical Response, International Association of Fire Chiefs and American College of Emergency Physicians are joining forces to provide training in bleeding control and CPR during EMS Week!
ANYONE CAN PARTICIPATE
Invite your local public safety personnel to partner with you.
HOW TO JOIN THE EFFORT
Plan to train individuals, organizations, businesses, bystanders or students in your communities (some communities even reach out to beachgoers, grocery shoppers or sports spectators) during EMS Week 2020 (May 17-23).
- Set up simple training using a manikin and teach bystanders the five simple steps of Compression-Only CPR.
- Provide pressure dressing and tourniquets for demonstration and hands-on practice.
LEARNERS MUST PRACTICE COMPRESSIONS AND KNOW THE STEPS BELOW:
- Check for responsiveness
- Call 911
- Push hard and fast in the center of the chest until help arrives
- Send someone for an AED
- Keep going until help arrives
CRITICAL STEPS TO COVER FOR STOP THE BLEED INCLUDE:
- Move to a safe area if needed
- Call 911 or have someone else call
- Have someone get a bleeding control kit if available, look near an AED
Apply pressure to the wound with your hands
Apply a dressing to the wound and press
- Apply a tourniquet 2 – 3 inches above the wound
- If bleeding continues, place a second tourniquet above the first one
RESOURCES FOR OFFERING CPR & STOP THE BLEED TRAINING:
Until Help Arrives
ECSI CPR Training
Department of Homeland Security - Stop the Bleed
- VIDEO from BleedingControl.org
REPORT YOUR NUMBERS
At the end of your training session, document the number of individuals you trained on this form.