ACEP Board Update
Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, PhD, MPH, FACEP
Greetings Section Members!
Great news, great articles, exciting announcements!! The EMI Section’s newsletter is filled with great content, yet again! Whether it is the exciting announcement that Dr. Donald Rucker (New Coordinator of The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology) is scheduled to speak to the EMI Section at ACEP17, or multiple educational opportunities related to informatics, or a quick discussion of the WannaCry ransomware attack, there are many articles well worth reading. Thanks again to Carrie Baker and the section’s leadership for their outstanding efforts to produce your newsletter.
As noted previously, I am your liaison to the ACEP Board of Directors. It is my responsibility and my pleasure to facilitate bi-directional communication between the EMI Section and the Board. Being on the BOD is a significant commitment and responsibility and we as a board continue to work hard for you to support your work and to promote emergency medicine. The BOD has been very busy over the past several months; some specific items that may be of interest to you include:
1) Balance Billing/Out-of-Network Reimbursement Model Legislation
2) Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation
- Out of Network Work Group of the ACEP/EDPMA Joint Task Force is conducting a careful review of the provisions of the Physicians for Fair Coverage (PFC) drafted model legislation, evaluating them as to how they meet the specific needs of emergency medicine, and creating a model that appropriately addresses those specific needs. This remains a work in progress
3) Free-Standing Emergency Department Accreditation Task Force
- The Geriatric Emergency Department accreditation process is moving forward with the approval of the charter and the proposed members of the Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation Program Board of Governors.
4) Compensation When Services are Mandated
- There is now a Task Force exploring accreditation of Free Standing Emergency Departments. This group is getting organized and is early in its activities.
- The Board reviewed and approved the revised policy statement, “Compensation When Services are Mandated” with the revised title, “Fair Coverage when Services are Mandated” which had been submitted by the Reimbursement Committee
5) Announcement of Candidates:
Vidor Friedman, MD, FACEP
Hans House, MD, FACEP
William Jaquis, MD, FACEP
John Rogers, MD, FACEP
John McManus, MD, FACEP (GS) – unopposed
Sabina Braithwaite, MD, FACEP (MO)
Andrea Green, MD, FACEP (TX)
Gary Katz, MD, FACEP (OH)
Board of Directors Candidates (4 positions to be filled)
Stephen Anderson, MD, FACEP (incumbent – WA)
Kathleen Clem, MD, FACEP (AAWEP Section)
J.T. Finnell, MD, FACEP (IN)
Alison Haddock, MD, FACEP (TX)
Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, FACEP (incumbent – MD)
Aisha Liferidge, MD, FACEP (DC)
Virgil Smaltz, MD, FACEP (NY)
Carrie de Moor, MD, FACEP (Freestanding Emergency Centers), has announced her intention to seek nomination from the Council floor for the Board of Directors.
Your continued efforts to support emergency medicine and our patients remains key in these turbulent times. ACEP, as the premier emergency medicine organization, depends on your efforts and communication to remain strong and vibrant. Keep up the great work of helping our patients and advocating for our colleagues and our specialty.
I hope you have a great summer!
Jon Mark Hirshon
Member, ACEP Board of Directors
Return to Newsletter