Services to Chapters
The College provides a number of services to its 53 chapters. For more information about any of these services, please contact the Chapter & State Relations Department at 800-798-1822, ext. 3227 or 3236.
Chapter Executives Forum
- This comprehensive one-day program is planned with the chapter staff executives to discuss issues, share expertise, and provide an update on national activities. Currently there are two forums per year, one in conjunction with the Leadership & Advocacy Conference and one at the annual Scientific Assembly.
Chapter Executives Stipend Program
- The stipend program offers staffed chapter executive directors the opportunity to receive a stipend to offset costs to attend one of the two chapter executives forums in a given year. The program is set up on a three-year rotation basis. If you have any questions as to whether it's the year for your chapter to receive the stipend, contact Chapter Services.
Chapter Website Service
- For chapters that might be interested, ACEP will build and maintain the chapter website.
Non-staffed Chapter Presidents Stipend Program
- Established to assist non-staffed chapter presidents with their dual responsibilities, the program is set up on an annual rotation basis. It is a means to encourage non-staffed chapter presidents to attend the Chapter Executives Forum held in conjunction with the annual Leadership & Advocacy Conference.
Leader Visits to Chapters
- This program now has a 2-year rotation schedule ensuring that each chapter has a visit from a leader at least once every other year at no expense to the chapter. The leader visit program provides an opportunity for chapter leaders and national leaders to interact and discuss issues of importance to both. A chapter may also request leader visits at other times at the chapter's expense.
- All requests for leader visits to chapters should be directed to the Chapter & State Relations Administrative Assistant or Chapter Services Manager.
- A 30 minute national update is required as part of the leader visit.
- The Leader Visit Request form must be completely filled out before requesting a leader.
Staff Visits to Chapters
- The Manager of Chapter Services, the Director of Chapter & State Relations and various other ACEP staff are available to visit chapters and provide assistance on a wide range of topics upon request by chapters.
- Frequent topics of interest for visits are long-range/strategic planning, political education, state legislative activities, public relations activities, membership recruitment, marketing and retention, general chapter assistance, issues development and practice management activities and trends.
- Requests for staff visits should be directed to the Chapter Services Manager.
Chapter Grant Program (annual)
- The chapter grant program assists chapters with worthwhile projects they otherwise could not afford to undertake.
- The National/Chapter Relations Committee reviews all chapter grant applications.
- The Board of Directors makes the final decision as to which projects to fund based upon the recommendation of the National/Chapter Relations Committee.
- The program includes the regular chapter grants and the chapter development grants.
- A quarterly chapter e-newsletter is a free service offered to assist chapters. We need a letter from the president of the chapter or other leader, and a calendar of chapter events. The national office will supply one or two clinical articles, a list of new members to the chapter and any other valuable information for the chapter. If you are interested in this free service, contact the Chapter Services Manager.
- Various items are provided at cost to chapters. They include business cards, stationery, and other assistance as needed.
- All requests for business services should be directed to the Chapter & State Relations Administrative Assistant. Requests MUST come from the chapter executive director or the chapter president.
Assistance with Membership Drives
- The Member Services Department and Membership Marketing Department assist chapters in conducting membership drives. Assistance includes developing recruitment and promotional letters specific to the chapter, providing promotional assistance, tracking results and assisting with mailing as needed.
Annual Leadership and Advocacy Conference
- This annual event features workshops, presentations, networking and idea sharing to assist chapter officers, staff and leaders in their leadership roles and responsibilities and in their legislative efforts. Highlighting the conference are the visits to the Hill where members meet with their legislators or legislative aides.
News from National ACEP & Chapters
- Newsletters of various chapters are included, as are various reports, public affairs materials, and other pertinent information to keep chapters informed about College activities. This information is found on our website under chapter services.
Fundamentals of Chapter Management
- This is a basic "how to" manual for chapters. It includes topics such as budgeting, planning meetings, and creating an effective organization. Fundamentals has "nuts-and-bolts" information to help leaders and chapters to be successful in their activities.
- The complete Fundamentals manual is available on the ACEP Web site at www.acep.org.
All Chapter Audio Conferences
- There are up to two audio conferences for chapters chapter presidents and executive directors every year. These calls are a live audio conference with the ACEP President and President-Elect and other leaders and staff to share trends in the states, updates on pertinent national and state issues, and to provide input to the national leaders on areas of concern to chapters.
National/Chapter Relations Committee
- Appointed by the President of the College, the National/Chapter Relations Committee is composed of staff executives of chapters, past presidents of chapters, and active members of chapters, and staff from the national office of ACEP. It advises ACEP on chapter needs and issues, monitors the chapter grant program and assists chapters and national to ensure a healthy relationship. The Chapter Services Manager is the national staff liaison to the committee.
- Chapters are encouraged to contact the Chapter Services Manager or the Chair of the National/Chapter Relations Committee about issues they want to bring to the attention of the committee.
- Chapter Services continues development of a clearinghouse of chapter policies, activities, programs and other ideas to facilitate sharing between chapters and to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" by chapters.
- To suggest ideas and to obtain a list of topics for the clearinghouse, contact the Chapter Services Manager.
Other Consultation as Requested
- A chapter may request assistance in a given area at any time and staff will work with the chapter to provide help as needed.
- Contact the Chapter Services Manager for information.
State Legislative Office
- The Chapter & State Relations Department is the center for state legislative activity. It collects and disseminates state legislative and regulatory information concerning state legislative processes and issues.
State Legislative/Regulatory Committee
- The committee acts in an advisory capacity on state legislative and regulatory issues and legislation. The Chapter & State Relations Department Director is the national staff liaison to the committee.
Physicians’ Guide to State Legislation
- This publication in three ring binder format provides information to help chapters in their legislative efforts at the state level. It addresses topics such as how to set a legislative agenda and how to hire, manage and evaluate a lobbyist, and gives helpful information about the legislative process. It is also available on the ACEP Web site.
Legislative Record Match
- The State Legislative Office provides a quarterly update of records that matches chapter members to their elected officials at the state and federal level. The report provides information including the addresses and telephone numbers of the elected officials' capitol and district offices and their committee assignments.
Online Advocacy Tool for Chapter Members to Communicate with Legislators
- The State Legislative Office offers an online service designed to assist chapters in issuing state legislative action alerts. The service allows chapter members to easily send key messages to their state legislators regarding state legislative issues of importance to the chapter.
Legislative Tracking Service
- The State Legislative Office offers chapters free up-to-date reports on legislation in their states that impacts emergency medicine. National ACEP identifies and tracks emergency medicine legislation in all states and can provide chapters with weekly reports on bills of interest whenever their state legislature is in session. It's a great way for smaller chapters to stay on top of key legislative developments in their states and for larger chapters to augment their existing legislative tracking efforts. To sign up for this free service, contact Craig Price in the ACEP State Legislative Office.