Myths and Facts About Emergency Care
- Most emergency patients have health insurance — the vast majority have serious medical problems that are best treated in an emergency department.
- Emergency care represents less than 2 percent of the nation’s $2.1 trillion in health care expenditures while treating 136 million people a year.
- The reasons emergency departments are crowded are complicated, and emergency physicians are dedicated to improving everyone’s access to emergency care.
- Patients having medical emergencies require the expertise of emergency physicians to diagnose and treat them and should never be second-guessed by health insurance plans.
- Emergency departments are valuable to communities and are a central part of the medical neighborhood
Myths and Facts About Emergency Care Fact Sheet