Section Subscriptions for Non-Members
In October 2011, the ACEP Board of Directors agreed to offer Section Subscriptions to non-ACEP members. Each section determined whether or not to open its section to a non-member subscription.
Why Allow Section Subscriptions?
The Board voted to permit non-members to participate in sections in response to inquiries over the years from members and leaders of several sections about allowing non-ACEP members to participate in sections as non-voting members. Members of these sections interact and work closely with respected partners, such as nurses, PAs and EMTs, etc, who cannot join ACEP, but provide value to section discussions and work products. These non-ACEP members often hold key roles and positions that can be influential in developing policies, guidelines and other clinical and practice resources.
Current interpretation of ACEP Bylaws limits section membership to only ACEP members, and the Board decided to allow the Section Subscription option to encourage more robust participation in the ACEP sections of membership.
Several years ago, section newsletter subscriptions were available to non-members but had limited participation, partly because of the narrow scope of benefit of receiving just a newsletter. The new Section Subscription package includes the e-newsletter and access to the section web site and its e-list for a $50 annual fee.
Will There Be Oversight of the Section E-lists?
As they do now, section members and staff liaisons will monitor section e-lists and will report misuse by non-members, as well as members.
Who is the Section Subscription Designed For?
Non-members eligible for subscriptions are physician assistants, nurses, EMS providers, and other mid-level providers. Physician non-members who do not qualify for ACEP membership can also subscribe to a section.
Are There Limits to How Non-Member Subscribers Can Participate in the Section?
Non-member subscribers will NOT be eligible to vote or hold office in the section. Non-member subscribers will NOT be allowed to submit Section Grants or serve as the project coordinator or participate in College functions that are specifically for College members.
Are All Sections Open to Subscribers?
Each Section’s members voted whether to open their section to subscribers. Three sections – Air Medical Transport, EMS-Prehospital Care and Tactical Emergency Medicine – voted to keep their membership exclusive to ACEP members only. The other 29 sections voted to allow subscribers.
What are the ACEP Board Approved Guidelines for Section Subscriptions for Non-Members?
Approved Oct. 18, 2011
- Non-member subscriptions will be available only to those non-members who do not qualify for membership.
- Non-member subscribers will be allowed access to the section including but not limited to the e-list, the e-newsletter, attendance at the section annual meeting, and the website.
- Non-member subscribers will not be eligible to vote or hold office in the section.
- Non-member subscribers will not be allowed to submit Section Grants or serve as the project coordinator or participate in College functions that are specifically for College members.
- Non-member subscribers will not impact the membership count for councillor representation.
- The rate for this non-member section subscription will be set at $50 and be maintained at $10 more than the member rate.
- Each section will be allowed to determine whether or not to open the section to a non-member subscription. This process would happen by a vote taken during their annual meeting or by electronic ballot. A simple majority of those voting would determine the question. The same process would be used to revoke subscription membership participation.
- Subscriptions would be billed on a rolling basis just as membership dues are billed.
How Do I Subscribe to a Section?
Visit the section application page, where you will have to log-in or create an account to subscribe to a section. You might already have a web account if you have purchased form the ACEP bookstore or if you have registered for an ACEP meeting.