Emergency Medicine Research
Emergency Care Research: A Primer-click to download free electronic version
If you wish to order a hard copy of the book, please visit the ACEP Bookstore.
For novice investigators, the primer offers an introduction to emergency care research with a hands-on guide to initiating, completing, and disseminating research. The chapters in this manual address what emergency care research is, how to identify a research topic, find a mentor, address key issues in emergency care research, training in research, basics of grant writing, presentation of research results, getting published, top 10 commandments of emergency care research, and how to start a research career.
Scientific Writing: Taking an Abstract to Manuscript- resources to assist investigators in bridging the gap between abstract to successful manuscript publication.
Statsoft-a comprehensive statistics online textbook
A basic primer on medical study design and research:
Part I: Understanding Clinical Studies
Part II: Interpreting Medical Research
NIH Grant Resources:
Non-NIH International Grant Opportunities: http://www.fic.nih.gov/Funding/NonNIH/Pages/health-professionals.aspx
Select "health" category: http://www.grants.gov/search/category.do
EMF Grant resources: http://www.emfoundation.org/applyforagrant/
Number Needed to Treat-a powerful tool to communicate benefit and harm that both patients and doctors can understand.
- Research Methodology/Study Design
- Chart Reviews in Emergency Medicine Research - Eric Gilbert, MD, 1996
- Conducting Systematic Reviews of Diagnostic Studies:Didactic Guidelines - Walter L. Deville, 2002
- The CONSORT statement: Revised Recommendations for Improving the Quality of Reports of Parallel Group Randomized Trials - David Moher and Kenneth F Schulz, 2001
- The Achitecture of Diagnostic Research- D. L. Sackett and R.B. Haynes, 2002
- Good Practice in the Conduct and Reporting of Survey Research - Kate Kelley, Belinda Clarke, Vivienne Brown, and John Sitzia, 2003
- Ruling a Diagnosis In or Out- Daniel Pewsner, 2004
- Accuracy of Diagnostic Tests - C.T. Loy, 2004
- Reassessing the Methods of Medical Record Review Studies in Emergency Medicine Research - Andrew Worster, MD, MSc, 2005
- Guidelines for Retrospective Studies - A.C. Jansen, 2005
- Translating Clinical Research into Clinical Practice: Impact of Using Predicition Rules to
Make Decisions - Brendan M. Reilly, MD, 2006
- A Methodology for Conducting Retrospective Review Research - Robin E. Gearing, PhD, MSW, 2006
- Grant Writing
- Manuscript Preparation
How to Review Papers
Research Section members may send an e-mail to all members of this section via the section e-list at email@example.com