Statement of Values
The Board of Directors has identified values that serve as the guiding principles for the specialty of emergency medicine. These values, and the objectives that follow, are the foundation of ACEP's planning processes and Council and Board actions.
The values of the American College of Emergency Physicians are:
- Quality emergency care is a fundamental right and unobstructed access to emergency services should be available to all patients who perceive the need for emergency services.
- There is a body of knowledge unique to emergency medicine that requires continuing refinement and development.
- Physicians entering the practice of emergency medicine should be residency trained in emergency medicine.
- Quality emergency medicine is best practiced by qualified, credentialed emergency physicians.
- The best interests of patients are served when emergency physicians practice in a fair, equitable, and supportive environment.
- Emergency physicians have the responsibility to play the lead roles in the definition, management, evaluation, and improvement of quality emergency care.