Emergency Department Violence
- Protecting emergency patients and staff from violent acts is fundamental to ensuring quality patient care.
- The majority (nearly 60 percent) of all assaults (nonfatal) and violent acts in the workplace occur in the health care and social assistance industries (2007).
- Nearly half (46 percent) of all assaults (non-fatal) and violence that result in days away from work are committed against registered nurses.
- Few official data are kept on the number of verbal and physical threats to health care workers and other employees — hospitals often are reluctant to commit resources to ill-defined problems.
- ACEP encourages all states to enact legislation that establishes maximum categories for offenses and criminal penalties against individuals who commit violence against health care workers.
Emergency Department Violence Fact Sheet